./index.html
./PTApage2.html
./PTApage3.html
./PTApage4.html
./PTApage5.html
./PTApage6.html
./PTApage7.html
./PTApage8.html
./PTApage9.html
Petersfield Twinning Association
Promoting goodwill and friendship with Barentin in France & Warendorf in Germany
 
Copyright 2006 by
Phil Chapman
All Rights reserved
phil@
petersfieldtwinningassociation.

org.uk
Designed by
Phil Chapman
.
Pablo Software Solutions
 
     Barentin          Petersfield        Warendorf
E-mail:  honsec@petersfieldtwinningassociation.org.uk
BARENTIN










Barentin is about 45 miles east of Le Havre, 26 miles south of Dieppe and 10 miles north of Rouen on the N15.  It has a population of some 13,000 and is situated in the pretty valley of the river Austreberthe which joins the Seine near Duclair 6 miles away.  It is a former cotton mill town but this industry is no longer in evidence.  The old buildings have been cleared and regenerated.

Barentin has an impressive Mairie (town hall) overlooking a central square complete with fountain.  It is a pleasant town with an interesting mixture of old and new buildings.  The town is dominated by a huge viaduct which carries both road and rail traffic.  On the outskirts of the town is a large shopping complex, with Carrefour as the most prominent outlet.

Rouen, the capital of Haute Normandie with 518,000 inhabitants of which 106,500 live in the city proper, is only 10 miles south east of Barentin and was one of the largest and most prosperous cities of mediaeval Europe.  It is in Rouen that the English burnt Joan of Arc in 1431.  Nowadays, it is noted for its Notre Dame Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Ouen as well as its Astronomical clock.  It is also known for its half-timbered buildings.

For more pictures click here